Day 7, Part 2: Recipe Share

Because I started NaBloPoMo a day late, I’ll do two posts today to catch up with the rest of my rowmies at Yeah Write.

Some of you know that I eat Paleo and I’m doing a Whole30 right now. If not, um… there you go. As a result, many of my friends think I’m crazy. They think I’m crazy most of the time anyway, but now I’m just certifiable.  The rules are this. NONE OF THESE: Dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol. ONLY THESE: Natural/organic meats, veggies, fruits and nuts. That’s it. It’s simple.

Yes, there have been challenges. There was Halloween candy to avoid. I hosted a party with delicious food that I could not eat. Friends think I’m lame for not drinking when we hang out. I have a date tomorrow night and I’m worried about what restaurant he’ll choose and how not to look like the world’s biggest diva when ordering.

But there have also been major benefits. I can tell that my tummy is flatter than it has ever been in my entire life. I sleep better. I have energy. And now that I only have a week left of my Whole30, I’m contemplating keeping these habits after it ends.  More accurately, what I’m seeing in the mirror is telling me I should.

It isn’t that hard to meet the Paleo/Whole30 requirements.  I promise.  If you don’t believe me, here’s an easy recipe for you.

Peach’s CrockPot Pork Loin with Sweet Potatoes, Onion and Garlic

• A 1.5 – 2lb pork loin roast (boneless)
  • 2 medium onions, chopped into big slices
  • 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into big chunks
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and rough-chopped
  • 2 cups organic chicken broth (or enough to cover the pork loin)
  • celery salt
  • curry powder
  • smoked paprika
  • 1/2 avocado
  1. Put the onions, sweet potato and garlie into the crockpot and spice em up with celery salt, curry powder, and smoked paprika.  I eyeball my spices because for the love of all things holy I hate measuring an eight of this… a nano-micro-smidge of that. Save that kind of OCD nonsense for baking pastry bombe flambe whatevers and just dump in however much you like onto the veggies. Just keep in mind it’s a lot of liquid so don’t be shy.
  2. Nudge the veggies out of the way to make a hole in the center for the pork loin. Put that bad boy in.
  3. Pour the broth over everything and swish it all around to mix in the spices that are on the veggies.
  4. Put the crockpot on low for 8hrs. Flip the pork after 4 hrs.
  5. After 7.5-8hrs, take two forks and shred the pork into all the juices.
  6. Serve yourself a heaping bowlful and top it with 1/2 sliced avocado.

Feel free to try it my way with the avocado topper, or serve the pork over white/whole grain rice or quinoa. You could even stick this pulled pork goodness into soft tacos or burritos for a bangin’ mexican meal. You could switch up the spices and make it whatever you want. Go to town, my friends.

Enjoy!

Day 7, Part 2: Recipe Share

14 Responses

1. Oh, man that sounds amazing! I’m going to make it this weekend. I am eating the spaghetti squash bake for dinner tonight :)

kianwi November 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm #
    • I’m so happy you love the spaghetti squash bake! :) let me know how the pork turns out if you make it…and what creative twists you do with it!

50peach November 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm #
  2. Sounds tasty! And here’s an “amen” for not measuring to the eighths! Hilarious, and spot-on.

MizYank November 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm #
    • Drives you crazy, too? Yay. I’m not alone. 😀

50peach November 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm #
  3. I personally don’t think you’re crazy for not drinking. But when you decide to, I left a delicious Imperial Stout in your fridge that will make you sideways. Directions: Remove from fridge and pour into a red wine glass. Let it sit untouched for 12 minutes. Sip away. Fall down.

Russell Sauve (@RussellSauve) November 8, 2012 at 12:59 am #
    • one week left, and counting! I look forward to falling down according to your instructions. :)

50peach November 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm #
  4. First you don’t invite me to your party and now you don’t make me supper. Does the rude have no end?

shannon November 8, 2012 at 1:21 am #
    • I had horrible parents. They taught me zero manners. Please forgive me….

50peach November 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm #
  5. Ok, Peachy Peach. Do NOT think it went unnoticed that you barely touched on DATE NIGHT in your post here! It was like a blip on the radar, a subtle pause in the sentence. What gives, girlfriend?! You’d better spill the beans tomorrow. Not, not beans. Kale. You’d better spill the kale tomorrow, I mean it. Oh, and while I’m ranting, I was really thinking this was going to be PUMPKIN GRANOLA and there you go and tease again. xoxo

Melisa @ just begin from here November 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm #
    • lalala I don’t know what you mean. Nothing to see here.

50peach November 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm #
  6. How the heck do you manage to make a recipe so hilario-licious?!?
    Skills!

The food sounds super delish, and me and my OCD 1/8 measuring self are too busy laughing to be offended. Haha.
    :-)

dberonilla November 8, 2012 at 4:07 pm #
    • *pushes glasses up bridge of nose* Now, please add 1/16 of a tsp of ground ginger…

no, I can’t even make fun of it. It drives me batty. But I still love you even if you don’t mind it. 😉

50peach November 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm #
  7. Good for you! A change in diet really can help in so many ways. I gave up dairy and wheat for a spell, and found it helped my digestion, my anxiety level, my skin…. Still, it’s not easy.
    As for the drinking, that’s tough! Not even red wine? You should tell your dates you can’t drink because you are pregnant – just to see the reaction.

Amy